View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
jerry

Any notes or cross-references in a margin are simply a tool - some are good, some are not, and some are a mixture of both. If you use any study tools, compare what they say with the Bible itself. For example, using a cross-reference - make sure the other passage is referring to the same person, place, thing, or subject - otherwise it is not a good reference. For example, comparing 1 Thessalonians 4 (the passage about the rapture) with 1 Corinthians 15 (about being changed at the rapture) is a good reference - comparing it with the gathering of the Jews worldwide in Matthew is not, as that confuses the issue and has led many to think that Matthew 24:31 is also referring to the rapture (and therefore it must occur sometime during the Tribulation period) when it is not.

I love having a wide margin Bible where I can write my own cross-references as I find them myself. Then I know the context and that both passages are related - and that it is not just a reference put there to push someone's theological view when it truly doesn't fit.