Thread: Rev. 22:19
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV
I suppose that was an attempt to show book is better than tree by human reason?
The internal consistency of Scripture is far more than 'human reason'. Here is how Thomas Holland described this question.

Thomas Holland
One must also consider the internal evidence. The phrase tree of life appears seven times in the Old Testament and three times in the New Testament. In these verses we are told we will be able to eat of this tree, and that this tree of Eden will reappear in Eternity. The idea that one can have their share taken away from the tree of life seems abnormal to Scripture. However, the phrase book of life appears seven other times in the New Testament (Phil.4:3; Rev. 3:5; 13:8; 17:8; 20:12, 15; and 21:27). In each case we find the book of life either contains or does not contain names, or names are blotted out of it. Therefore, the phrase, "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life," is extremely consistent with the biblical texts.

'Human reason' develops strange paradigms of the text that force inconsistent and errant readings, like the swine marathon from Gerasa or Jesus speaking falsely saying he is not going to the feast. Now in the counter-reformation modern versions. God's wisdom is the pure and perfect Bible.

Most of this is not real complicated. As Herb Evans put it, discussing two Revelation corruptions in the modern versions versus the pure TR/KJB readings.

Herb Evans
It does not take a scholar to know there is a difference between "wash their robes" and "do his commandments," nor does it take a degree in theology to know the difference between a "tree of life" and a "book of life."

TimV, I have very little interest in the 'study of texts' which to you apparently means 'hand-written Greek manuscripts that might be minority in the King James Bible' since you have offered nothing of substance or interest on any other aspect of Revelation 22:19. And said that you have no intention of even sharing why you are concerned with that one aspect, the reason you joined the forum.

In fact you seem to be annoyed that God has given us so much excellent support and understanding of Revelation 22:19's "book of life". Including early church writers par excellence along with internal consistency and a variety of early textline evidences. You apparently use some corrupt modern version as your reading Bible, which for some reason you think would "shock" us. (Well, maybe, if you read the Message, I would be surprised.)

However, while the 'study of texts' tends to be arcane and even boring....

I am most definitely interested in sharing the identity and history and text of the pure and perfect word of God, to those who have an ear to hear.

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 12-13-2008 at 01:30 AM.