View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
George's original post said that heresy is opposition to "sound Biblical doctrine". I agree with this, but I asked George "Who gets to authoritatively decide what is sound Biblical Doctrine?". His response was:

George said "Ultimately I do", but I think he meant that in a personal sense and not a global sense (i.e. I don't think he meant that he gets to decide authoritatively for everyone else). The problem with this response is that it doesn't answer the question. I asked: who gets to authoritatively decide what is sound Biblical Doctrine? If George ultimately does for himself (even though he seeks out God's mind in the process) while someone else decides for themselves (who also seeks out God's mind in the process) but comes to a different conclusion, neither is authoritative. Both can call each other heretics, and neither can disprove the charge of heresy against themselves.

George's original post was good on the surface, but once thought through it implies that everyone should call everyone else a heretick at some point (unless they can demonstrate they are truly in 100% agreement on every single point of doctrine), and that even when doing so it's just a chaotic, unauthoritative mess. It's nothing but a source and excuse for schism (1 Cor 12:24) and division (Rom 16:17, 1 Cor 1:10, 1 Cor 3:3, etc.).

This is exactly the kind of unsure, uncertain, "there is no definite final authority on doctrine" mumbo-jumbo that corrupt perversions of God's Word have brought about.

Brian, haven't you ever heard a preacher say: "Don't take my word for it, read the Bible and see for yourself"? That's Biblical, just as the Bereans searched the scriptures and checked what Paul said to make sure they were correct.

1 John 2:27 says: "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

The Bible is our final authority, and the Holy Spirit teaches us sound dictrine. It is our job to study, pray, listen to the Holy Spirit, and trust God. Not a theologen, not scholars, not "the orginal manuscripts", which don't even exist. We are to trust God's Holy written Word, inspired, preserved, and perfect.