View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 05:36 PM
wwjd.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau View Post
Here are some verses for fodder for this thread. I won't exposit, but am interested in the response(es).

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Read the whole chapter, because you are taking the verse out of context, if you don't read the whole chapter.

After verse 34, Jesus says "35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."

Before a person comes to know Jesus, a person is unsaved. Once a person accepts Jesus into his heart a person becomes saved. Whenever a person is saved, he must change his lifestyle.

For example, "Let him that stole steal no more..." Ephesians 4:28. Another example, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth" Ephesians 4:29.

In other words, a person must change his lifestyle. Not only that, but a person must be light unot others. In other words, a person must reprof and preach to any that sin. (Matthew 5:14) "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."

Draw a picture. A whole family steals (like on taxes) and says corrupt communication (like cursing).

Then one of the family members becomes a Christian. The Christian member tells to others that it's not right before God to steal and to curse.

The other non-Christian family members want to continue stealing, and cursing. As the result of this, the non-Christian members do not like the Christian member. Re-read this again, if you do not understand.

This is very important, so please pay attention. Jesus said " Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Then in the next verse, Jesus explains what he meant by the phrase. Jesus says, "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."

In that chapter, when, Jesus said "I came not to send peace", he was refering that there would not be peace between the family members. Jesus was saying that to some people, it would be more to live if they would not be Christians. Jesus in verse 34 was warning people that if they become Christians, then they might be at war with some family members.

Quote:
Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Notice, that because Jesus has told the disciples to buy a sword, that means that before, the Desciples did not have a sword. Jesus know all of the future.

Jesus knew that if Peter would have a sword at the garder of Gethsemane, then Peter would attack the scribe's servant;

The reason that Jesus need a sword, is to show the scribes, that he can truly heal people. (For Peter had cut the ear off, and jesus had healed the ear.)

Quote:
37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

In romans, verse 1 it says that all of the autority is from God. Verse 2 says that we need to obey autority. Verse 2 also says thatif we don't obey autority, we disobey God. The only time that we can disobey autorities,is the autority tells us to sin. When verse 4 says, "the minister of God" it refers to the autority.

So what the verse is saying, is that "the ministers of God"(the authorities) carry a sword. Therefore if we are evil, then we need to fear the authorities.

If you do not understand something that I said, please don't be afraid to ask.