View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Answer to Luke

Kiwi is right Luke. A couple of additional points to remember or reflect on. Being tormented is actually a good sign. In Hebrews 12.1b "lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us," Paul or Barnabas talks about similar problems and remember Romans or Galatians when Paul speaks about not doing the things he want to do but does those things he hates. The devil would nothing better than destroy your confidence or ability to serve. I have and do struggle with reoccurring sins. I have read much and found three strong anchor holds to help when those powerful storms hit me between the eyes. The first is verse memorizations, I pick out specific ones that I've worked on repeatedly that the Holy Spirit can use to strengthen my resolve. I reflect on how Jesus used verses to fight against the temptations of Satan when he was particularly weak from his fasting. Secondly, (taken from a sermon I had heard) was to remember the love of Christ. To think about how he loved me personally and my individual relationship with him - how can I possibly try to reject how he feels about me. I have some responsibility to him and like in Proverbs 25.28 "He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down and without walls." Also to better help in this specific thought area, I will bring my flesh into subjection with fasting for 3 or 4 days to help with perspective on Christs love and my responsibility to his mercy, love and grace.
The third method to overcome these uncontrolable urges is to completely focus upward on God's holiness and gain perspective through reverential fear. Our God IS a consuming fire (my emphasis). I do not want or need his wrath in my life. He is patient, longsuffering, loving, and forgiving, but there are limits once we are his. I definately don't need that kind of a problem with the world already in the state it is.

My prayers are with you Luke.