View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Genesis 9 and The Levictical Lynch Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Brothers Tim and Tony,

I'm with you guys. I'm really, really tired of people reading into this passage -- both in making assumptions about what was "done to" Noah and assuming that our modern ideas of "race" can be grafted on to the curse in some way.
I notice brother Presswood already addressed this anomaly, I guess for some people you have to draw a picture. In 1988 I wrote a tract called the Levitical Lynch Mob, this is the gist of the tract:

Gen. 9:18 ¶ And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.
19 These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father’s nakedness.
24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

"Saw nakedness" is found nowhere else in the Scriptures, and is cross-referred to Leviticus 18 to mean "lie carnally with":

Lev. 18:7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

There are two problems that impeach this private interpretation:

1. Noah passed out naked, no one "uncovered" anything, he was already "uncovered" by his own fault of getting drunk.
2. Nowhere in the Scriptures is the phrase to "see" someone's "nakedness" to mean to "lie carnally with" but implies a physical act of "uncovering".

There are three places in Genesis in the KJV that "KJV Onlys" retranslated the Scriptures: Genesis 1 and the "gap"( the earth was without form and made void, rather than just "void"), Genesis 6 with "nephIlim", and Genesis 9 with the insertion of the word "sodomized". Let's look at this private interpretation:

Gen. 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, sodomized his father, and told his two brethren without.
23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and unsodomized their father; and their faces were backward, and they sodomized their father not.
24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

That makes a whole lot of sense and is the product of a "sound mind", isn't it? There you have it, and there is no way in the Universe it can be changed. If "saw the nakedness of" means to "lie carnally with" then Ham sodomized Noah and the Shem and Japeth somehow "unsodomized" him by covering him with a blanket or animal skin so that they would not sodomize him? By the same method of private interpretaion, what does "cover the nakedness of" mean? Is this somehow a way to "fix" a sexual tresspass?

My next message will show "what Noah saw that was done to him."

As i said, with some people you have to draw them a picture.

Grace and peace

Tony