View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Personal convictions, if they really are that, are not doctrine at all. A conviction is something that a person does or believes that is quietly between him and the Lord. For instance, I haven't seen my mom in pants since I was about 5 years old. But she also hasn't gone around talking about other women who do choose to wear pants. Her decision to wear only dresses and skirts is between her, my dad, and the Lord.

Whether it's hair, dress length, movies, dating, color of underwear (!?!) or anything else: personal convictions are completely fine. When it moves into the public realm, however, is when it can easily become a problem. Paul talked about living in the Spirit, serving the Lord in church and being a good outward testimony to unbelievers: he didn't get onto people for going to the theater or wearing pants.

Like a great old preacher said, If you're all worried about pants on women, that must mean you've been doin' a lot of lookin'!

Just keep the convictions personal ("standards" is a better word): when they cease to be personal is when they usually become a problem.