Thread: The sons of God
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Craig, the heresy that Jesus Christ had a sin nature is found in the Ebionites for one, the followers of Arius, and the Gnostics in general right on up to Ellen White of the SDAs and I think Tony don't accept the fornicating angels of Genesis 6 because it's not sound doctrine.

Grace and peace

Tony
I'm not sure why you addressed this to me because I never said Jesus had a sin nature. I already knew he didn't have one because no such thing as a sin nature exists in the Bible. The term sin nature comes from reformation theology, not Bible theology. If we sin because we have a sin nature then what caused Adam and Eve to sin? Did they have a sin nature before the fall? They sinned because of the same reason we do. They chose their own lusts and desires over God's will.
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (James 1:14-15)

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. (Genesis 3:6)

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. (1 John 2:16)
Our problem is the flesh!
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. (Galatians 5:16-17)
The virgin birth of Christ is an important, essential and non-negotiable doctrine of the faith, but the idea that Jesus had to be virgin born to avoid the sin nature is silly and a moot point. It was the only way he could be born into this world since he is God and has existed from eternity past. You and I don't have a pre-existence. Our life begins at conception as the result of the union between a man and woman (preferably husband and wife). He couldn't be conceived the same way you and I are or else he would've just been another man. He had to enter the world and take on a body like ours in order to die on a cross and pay for our sins and the only way he could be born was through the virgin birth. He took on a body just like ours EXCEPT he never ever once sinned. I know there are many deep things in the Bible that require a lot of study to understand but a lot of times it is man who complicates things with his man-made theology.
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: (Romans 8:3)

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; (Hebrews 2:14)
As far as Genesis 6; Job 1:6, 2:1, and 38:7 is pretty clear about who these sons of God were.