View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
solabiblia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
I was doing some verse comparison in different versions and came across this one.

Job 6:6

(AV 1611) Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?

Pretty plain and straightforward, fairly bleak commentary. I thought I would check what the new standard in bible versions had to say on this verse and found it to be more or less just a reading from an older translation:

(English Standard Version) Can that which is tasteless be eaten without salt, or is there any taste in the juice of the mallow?
The KJV translators anticipated that they would not get all the names for things correct, as they said in their preface:

Quote:
There be many words in the Scriptures which be never found there but once,114 (having neither brother nor neighbour, as the Hebrews speak) so that we cannot be holpen by conference of places. Again, there be many rare names of certain birds, beasts, and precious stones, &c., concerning which the Hebrews themselves are so divided among themselves for judgement, that they may seem to have defined this or that, rather because they would say something, than because they were sure of that which they said, as S. Hierome somewhere saith of the Septuagint. Now in such a case, doth not a margin do well to admonish the reader to seek further, and not to conclude or dogmatize upon this or that peremptorily?
The book of Job has some especially difficult language because of its age. It has taken four centuries to discover the meanings of some of the obscure words from other ancient documents.

I think we should cut the KJV translators some slack. They did the best they could.