View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Key books and ideas

I also recommend Edward Hills' book, and Dr Thomas Holland's book. (A good King James Bible study tool to use on your computer is SwordSearcher, which has Dr Holland's book as part of the package.)

There are several concepts which should be understood, of which I list in no particular order:

1. Defence of the method of selection of the underlying text of the KJB. By which I mean understanding that the translators regarded many sources, and how that they formed an independent variety of the Textus Receptus in English, which is in its final form.

2. Defence of the method of translation of into English. By which I mean Burgon's suggestion that the translators were rendering as if the prophets and apostles had written in English, and that we have the exact sense of the original languages as given in English without addition or subtraction, thus, the very sense of the message as communicated by God when the Scripture was inspired.

3. Defence of the method which God in His providence utilised, to supply to the world one language as common, and have for them a Bible which is the best, and so have men from all nations being readied to hear and understand His Word, being given in the King James Bible for the latter days.

4. Defence of Biblically consistent principles which apply to the Bible itself prophetically, such as that it has been purified seven times, and that study and fact shows that the King James Bible has indeed gone through this process.

5. Defence of the concept that the God who was powerful enough to give His Word was also powerful enough to keep it, and was powerful enough to have it fully in English, and even have it to be known as to what is the proper standard edition of it, pure to the jot and tittle.

6. Defence that the very structure of the Scripture is present, to the very details of the Authorized Version, including that words are defined by the King James Bible in a way particular to itself, that all and all, it is a self-authenticating book, showing the divine commendation in every whit.

7. Defence that external events and factors show that God has blessed and providentially appointed the King James Bible with a high purpose.