View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
sting of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Agape means love. According to Matthew Henry, the KJV translators used the word charity to indicate when the context was referring to both love towards God AND towards man, whereas when they translated it specifically as love, only one of the two was in view.

It makes more sense to tell Peter to feed His sheep than to say be a shepherd to them. This focusses more on what he was to do with the believers, rather than his vocation (ie. spiritual shepherd).
but if you look at verse 16 AND 17, you see it is repeated. verse 16 refers to pastoring them, and verse17 is refering to feeding them. verse 15 refers to lambs, not sheep

Joh 21:16-17
(16) He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jona, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
(17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jona, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.