View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Obviously, some of you did not read the article I presented, or simply disagree with it. I presented this article for several reasons. First, I have already presented scriptures that I believe contradicts many of the views here. Second, this was written by a Baptist pastor who is a dispensationalist. I thought that would carry more weight with those here than anything I might say. Third, I thought the article well written.

The author presented two verses especially I agree with

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

The author also presented several examples of men under the dispensation of Law who did not live godly lives, yet we know from scripture they were saved. The last example given was very good.

Quote:

How about the repentant thief on the cross? Born, and now dying under the Dispensation of Law, what work did he do, could he do, under the Law? This thief, fixed to across until he died, could not make restitution to those he had wronged, as the Law commanded. Neither could he enter the temple, bringing a lamb which could be offered upon the altar for his sin. And please do not give me this hedge that this was a transitional period. The Dispensation of Law did not end until the moment Christ died. The Dispensation of Grace did not start until the Dispensation of Law ended - there was no overlapping of the two. Yet the thief was justified and ushered into Paradise with Jesus totally by grace through faith without one work being done by the thief before or after his salvation.
We know this man was saved by the Lord's words himself.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

As the author wrote, this man could not obey the law, as he was also nailed to a cross. But you see that he did believe Jesus to be the promised King who would come.

Luke 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

This man was saved by faith, not by works.

The author also gave many other good examples such as Samson who lived a licentious life indeed. If it were not shown in Hebrews that he was saved, I think most would have believed him to be a lost man.

And the author also speaks of Jews during the tribulation. I agree that the unbelieveing Jews will do sacrifice, but the 144,000 true believers in Christ will not.

During Jesus ministry, you do see mention of those who believed by faith on Jesus.

John 6:14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.

You see, these people believed God's word. They truly believed God would send the Prophet that Moses had spoken of.

Deut 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

This is the gospel. This was Jesus being preached in the Old Testament. And those who believed God's promise looked for this Prophet. These are those saved by faith without the works of the Law.

John 1:41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The gospel was preached throughout the Old Testament, starting with God's promise to Adam and Eve.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Adam and Eve probably did not understand this. They could not see Jesus the Son of God living under the law and dying for our sins on the cross. But they believed what was revealed to them at the time and were saved by faith in Christ to come.

As Galatians 2:6 says, "for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified".
This means past, present, or future.