View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 AM

Default Religious Baggage

When I got saved as a young man in 1993, aged 23, I had had no religious upbringing or church experience whatsoever. About 1 month after I got saved I had the great blessing of being steered straight into a King James Only, Dispensational, Rightly Dividing, Bible Believing Baptist church where I was rooted and grounded in God's love and God's word, amen.

Now, while I have been walking with Christ these past 16 years, I have been confronted with many Christians who have had the complete opposite unbringing as me, being involved in some kind of false religion in their youth which has plagued them to a degree their whole life. While they may be on the right track with God now, they are still effected by their past experiences, whether that be the occult, catholicism, or charismania, etc. I have seen this so often and wonder why they can't shake it off, why they can't get rid of the baggage, it's like they are spiritually scarred for life!

I am very thankful that God has spared me from carrying around the baggage of a previous false religion, but I'd like to understand more about this phenomenon. Are there any of you readers who can relate personally to this and would care to give a word of testimony of your past experiences, and how/why they still effect you today?