View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 AM
jerry

I think Webster's 1828 Dictionary is an excellent, but it does not define every word as used in our King James Bible. I used my Strong's Concordance for years before I ever heard of or found a Webster's 1828 - and it was partly as a result of using the Strong's that I realized what was wrong with some modern versions and how the KJV was right.

Shortly after I got saved, I used the NASV for four years (before I had any clue about the Bible version issue) - but was always puzzled by some of the notes that questioned the text, with passages or words missing and the note stating such and such was not part of the originals, etc. Then I would look up the same passage in my KJV, then verify what the word was in the Greek - and the Strong's always upheld the KJV. In those passages where words were missing, I would write what the KJV said in the margin because Strong's showed it as part of the underlying texts.

Then later when I was doing research on Bible versions, and comparing them side by side, my Concordance helped show me which translations not just changed words but also changed meanings - this is how I got to see the NKJV as a counterfeit. It wasn't just updating words, it was changing what so many passages said.

In fourteen years of using a Strong's Concordance, I have never once come across a definition that corrected the KJV - I certainly found it better than any English dictionary (because they either did not have certain words or they did not define them as used in the Bible) - though now I have access to a Webster's 1828 Dictionary as part of Swordsearcher, and there are several places where you can access it online. Some here may choose not to use Strong's Concordance - but it has helped me so much to understand my KJV - and to see where many others are wrong. I have seen too many people wing it and bring their own definitions into a passage - because they think a word means something else or because we now use a word differently and they are reading this new definition into the Bible. With the Strong's, I was able to see through their misconceptions, and also see how many teachings of cults did not fit by having a basic idea of what the KJV and underlying texts were actually teaching. See, they play off our ignorance of hard to understand passages or archaic/hard words, then teach their junk with their definitions - but with the Strong's I could see that what they were saying just did not line up with the Bible - and it wasn't just my definition versus theirs.