View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM
look3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If by fear, than hell is the motive that drives you to Christ!
If love, than appreciation, forgiveness drives you to Christ.

You said this above. Sorry to implore, but it sounds like you are saying that one of them is the wrong way?

I came to Christ out of fear. Far out, I don't want to go to hell. But his forgiveness drives me to love him more. When I came to Christ (my memories of it are vague. I was attending an Anglican church at the time, and they aren't big on spiritual birthdays or anything), I came knowing I was a sinner, and my judgment would end in hell. I accepted the forgiveness in Jesus and was made a saint. (I actually was reading a Jack Chick Tract, which I read more of after I got saved, and then left the Anglican church and found a KJ Bible believing church)
Yes, many are led to Christ via the fear of hell, that is undeniable. But let me say this, a question mark; in many cases a question mark marks the relationship.
Let me explain; There may be doubts as to the surety of one's salvation when one's life has not been what it ought to be verses, the knowing and assurance of salvation regardless of what one is.

In many cases I've heard preachers, and some folks make statements about a person who claimed to be saved commit some kind of sin not consistent with being saved as like this "Perhaps that person never really received Christ and was never really saved"?

The question mark?

Let's say one came to Christ out of fear of hell, but later on as that person matured spiritually, to the point where perfect love casted out all fear, then that person no longer fears a hell, for the person very well knows and is assured of its salvation without a doubt.

That is the stage where love becomes the motive, and fear no longer abides.

When one can come to Christ, regardless of the motive, and give of one self to Him out of love then love rules and surety of salvation is achieved.

Peace>>>AJ