View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Aloha brother Sammy,

Re: Your post of 3/4/08 - "Know in part"

I have enjoyed all of your posts and have agreed with you on almost every point that you have brought up. However, I ask you to prayerfully consider this post as possibly being true.

The "Standard Interpretation" for 1 Corinthians 13:9-11 is - "But when that which is perfect is come" is the "Canon" of the Scriptures.

I can remember way back in 1973 being presented with this "thorny problem" and I examined the verses in the context (Including Chapters 12 & 14) and could not come up with the "standard interpretation" without a whole lot of "speculation" on my part. Bible believing Christians must be extremely careful of "speculation" when it comes to understanding the Holy Scriptures (especially when it comes to teaching sound doctrine). 2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

In 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 - in the context Paul is speaking about "charity" (specifically - the love between Christian brethren) and the fact that true Christian Charity "rejoiceth in the truth". and then he mentions that prophecies - they shall "fail" (stop); and tongues - they shall "cease"; and knowledge - shall vanish away; and then Paul "camps out" for a while on knowledge:
1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. {NOTICE: "through" a glass NOT "into" a glass!}
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Back in '73 When I read the preceeding verses - I asked myself - where is the word "Scriptures"? (the only place where the word is found in the entire Book of 1 Corinthians is in Chapter 15: 3-4); Where is the word "Canon"? (Of course no such word exists in the Holy Bible); Where is the word - "words" or "word" mentioned? The words are not to be found in the entire 13th. Chapter!

I then asked myself what is going on? How can we build a doctrine around the "word" or "words" of God or the "Scriptures" if they (the words) are not mentioned in the context? And what I discovered is that the brethren, in their desire to get rid of tongues and the "sign gifts", decided that all of the "gifts" had to go.

I have no problem saying the "sign gifts" have ceased until God resumes His work with the nation of Israel - Since "the Jews require a sign", then the "sign gifts of: healing"; the working of miracles; divers kinds of tongues; the interpretation of tongues; i.e. the "gifts" of signs, wonders, and miracles have ceased (since we Christians don't walk by sight, but by faith - we aren't Jews).

However, how are the "gifts" of: the word of wisdom; the word of knowledge; of faith; of prophecy (NOT prophesying); discerning of spirits considered "signs" or "wonders" or "miracles"? If I understand English words, these words have nothing "miraculous" about them that people can "see". Have all spiritual "gifts" ceased? I think not - haven't you ever met a brother who seemed to be especially "gifted" in one of these areas? I have met several.

1 Corinthians 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Are all of the preceeding verses obsolete and out of date? Has all of the above ceased? Is there no one within each individual church that has any "gifts" except the man called "pastor" or "elder" or "teacher" - and because he went to school? The church of God is a "Living Organism" and God provides the body with "every man to profit withal".

I believe that one of the many failings of the modern day churches is the failure on the part of the body to recognize men within each church, that God has blessed with a "gift", but because they have not matriculated and graduated from "Bible school", are neither recognized or appreciated as being able to "profit withal". (By this modern-day criteria all of the original 12 Disciples/Apostles would not be eligible to serve - and niether would our Lord and Savior!)

The words or phrase "face to face" is the KEY to understanding this verse. There are 11 verses in the entire Bible where the phrase "face to face" shows up - Guess what the other 10 verses say in regards to the meaning? All the other verses where "face to face" is used in the Bible it means - FACE TO FACE! That is, every other place in the scriptures its a face to face meeting between God and some servant of His or a face to face meeting between 2 men.

We are commanded to study the word of God: 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (The only place in the Bible that commands us to study.)

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Isaiah 28:10 & Isaiah 28:13 are the only verses in the Bible that tell us HOW to study the Scriptures. Do you think for a moment that God is going to go against the only instructions He has given us in the entire Bible on how to rightly divide His Holy word?

"Face to face" settles the matter for a Bible believer. With the correct understanding of the words "face to face", you should be able to discern what these verses say - not what they mean - on your own, without the aid of any Bible "scholar".

I hope that you will prayerfully consider this post and should you still disagree you won't be alone. I have a couple of dear Christian brothers who disagree with me and it hasn't affected our fellowship of love for one another.

George