View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
why the difference?
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

If you have questions, you should study to find the answer. I will give an overview, which would help for further studies.

There are reasons for the way "King" or "king" is used. I have already pointed out that when "king" is used in the general sense, and "King" when referring to recognition of the role of Christ.

Joh 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Joh 18:39 But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?

Joh 19:12 And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.

Joh 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

Joh 19:15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.

Joh 19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Joh 19:21 Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.

Notice clearly the sequence. Pilate asks if Jesus is a "king". In other gospels, we know that Pilate also asked if he were "King" (see Luke 23:3) in response to the accusations made against Christ.

Pilate then asks the Jews if he should release the "King", but the Jews keep saying they have no "king" but the Emperor. When Pilate writes the superscription for the cross, the Jews know full well that Pilate was meaning "King", because they wanted to change it to a self-appointed designation.

In Mark 15:18 the Roman soldiers mocked him as "King", but on the cross, people who read the accusation, and the soldiers, said "king" (see Luke 23:37).

If this were all studied out, the reasons would be revealed who said "king" and when and why, and also remembering that according to grammar, someone can be "a king" even though they are "the King" (of course, that same person can be "a King" and "the king", but there are reasons for that).