View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Bob Jones University

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlewis3348 View Post
I am a student at Bob Jones University, as my profile evidences. I am really enjoying it here. It seems that there is encouragement coming from every direction to be completely committed to doing God's will in my life. In all my classes, in chapel, prayer group and even the beginning of the year dorm party we are constently being challenged to follow God's will with our whole heart. The only downside that I see (the is always a downside to every good thing) is that the university believes that God's Word has been preserved in all the preserved manuscripts, not just the Majority Text and they therefore come to the conclusion that the KJV (although better in the formalness of its language) is not as accurate in its translation of the Greek. As a result of this I have been challenged to better know what I believe so that I can remain strong in it while I am here. Thus far I have either been able to refute arguments presented or find refutations to them except for one. That one is that when Erasmus compiled the last six verses of the Revelation in His Greek text he did not have a copy of the greek version and therefore introduced words that were not there in any Greek manuscript. I have tried to find information on this but I have not been able to find a source that even addresses the topic other than my teachers here. The only difference in the whole passage is in verse 19 where in the KJV it says "Book of Life" and in most other versions it says "Tree of Life." What they are saying does not sound right (I know that Erasmus was an extremely smart man and would not have done this just so that he would not have been inconvenienced by looking for a Greek version) but I can't find anything to prove to the contrary right now. Is there anyone out there that knows anything about this? I would greatly appreciate any help that you can afford.
Aloha brother tlewis3348,

I believe that in regards to Erasmus's first edition that he didn't have a Greek manuscript for those verses, so he used the readings from the Latin and some other Versions. Later on he found a few late Greek mss that supported that reading.

It's been a long time since I have studied this issue {I did an Independent study of the entire issue of "Which Bible" from 1968 - 1988, in which I spent somewhere between 12,000-15,000 hours all toll - Something, if I had it to do all over again, I would not spend half as much time with. }

I know that Dr. Peter Ruckman has all of the mss evidence regarding your question, but I doubt that BJU would allow you to have any of his books on campus.

And in regards to Bob Jones University: I don't want to offend you, but here is a situation that I personally observed between 1973 - 1974 when some BJU graduates joined our Independent Baptist {King James Bible Professing} church in Anahola, Kauai, Hawaii.

The Anahola Baptist church was founded in 1968 {My wife and I were "charter members"} and stated in its Constitution and By-laws that they Believed that the King James Bible was the word of God without error, and that it would be the sole source and authority in all matters of faith and practice. {In other words - It was a King James Bible Only church from 1968 -1973}

Within two years of joining the church the BJU graduates had persuaded most of the church to abandon the King James Bible in favor the NASV or the "Bible of their choice". Needless to say - I left, and so did most of the other Bible believers. And today the church is a shadow of its former self and well on its way to apostasy!

No matter how nice and dedicated the Christians are at BJU - if the "fruit" of their "ministry" is what I personally observed here on Kauai, I'm afraid that I cannot recommend it to a Bible believing Christian (that is if he still wants to retain his belief in the Holy, inspired, infallible, and perfect word of God found only in the King James Bible).

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.