View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
spiritualcrusader

I'll admit from the beginning that I'm not very good at explaining things. All I know is that when the Holy Spirit showed me that I was a sinner who deserved hell, that I repented, and accepted Jesus as my only means of salvation. When I bring up children, I mean to be careful that you are clear to them what they are doing. Are they believeing in the the prayer you are leading them in, did they come forward at an altar call because their parents told them to, did they do it because their friends did it. Salvation is a personal decision. My mom still thinks I got saved when I was like 5 years old. I had no understanding at that age that Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and that I deserved hell because of those sins. I'm also against "1, 2, 3, repeat after me prayers with large groups of people. Salvation only occurs in a humble heart. Most of the time, the altar call is a humbling event.

The other reason why I say repentance is part of salvation is adults have a lot to give up, they have minds to change, and pride to deal with. It may be easier for children to believe and actually get saved, because Jesus said that we are to be like little children. Religious people have to be convinced that their good works aren't enough. Little children will do anything to make their teachers, parents, or pastors happy, but that doesn't mean that they meant it from their heart or even new what they are doing. My pastor says that he has saved at 8 years old. I believe him, but even he says to make sure that you are thorogh with children, and even sometimes adults. Also repentence is turning from the lifestyle they once lived. That's the part I'm asking about the most. Where are the believers that are turning from their sinful pasts, surrendering to Jesus, and bearing fruit.