View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Default Hi Will

I’m glad that such honest thinkers like yourself are on my side of the battle as it makes research all the more rewarding when I follow you on to the battlefield.

Well, as far as I see it, heaven hasn’t yet passed away, neither has the earth (hold on I’ll just take a look outside………..yep, it’s still there!) and further more it is Jesus Christ our Lord (who is the embodiment of truth who made that promise. So as far as I am concerned it seems very absurd for professing Christians to think that they have scored a point against the preservationists by arguing the opposite.

If the militant proponents of the modern versions carry their translations with the conviction that those actual words of Jesus are preserved and inspired, then they have to admit that inspiration & preservation do apply to the concept that they are defending (otherwise they wouldn’t have any grounds to support their own argument).

This is one of the arguments that I have consistently had with against modern versionists, who use (what they call) “translations” such as the NIV & Message to teach their assemblies (which by their own admissions are not even word for word translations). They confidently proclaim the texts of these versions (“stressing on single words “with authority) as though they are quoting Christ Himself, and yet passionately oppose anyone who claims that the Bible is preserved in the English language!
To me, that is like trying to teach subtraction and multiplication without the use of numbers – it’s just not possible!

Without the actual word of God there is no authority which means that every Scriptural quote that is made during a church service or Bible study is, at best, only a guess and nothing more!
Which then leads down the path of feelings and preference rather than the solid line of unquestionable authority, which was the line that the apostles took.

So to try and dismiss the preservationist they (the new believer) have to believe that preservation is a myth. But then they go on to convince themselves that God keeps his promises, that Christ’s words are (not only authoritative but) unquestionable and yet no one knows anything for sure other than the Bible couldn’t have been preserved in English.

It is as if they believe on the one hand that a jigsaw that they have seen portrays a beautiful picture – but on the other hand they don’t want to believe that the pieces make up the picture that they can see!

Thanks for your thoughts Will

God bless

PaulB