View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway
The reason this thread stirred up much controversy is the belief that some folks have that in order to be a Pastor / teacher / Evangelist a degree is needed or some kind of formal qualification to go out and "Preach the word" and this is just not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektim View Post
I am not sure I agree with this. Can you point to the person and post that such a claim was made?
For example, you can look at the Gail Riplinger thread on the FFF forum and discover some of our friends using her secular degree to say she doesn't know anything about theology and shouldn't be writing on it. They used her degree in basketweaving or whatever it is as an "in" to malign her character. When I first started posting on that forum, they tried to bring my education into question, too, trying to fish for ammunition to use against me.

In general, in the Southern Baptist Convention, people look at the Master of Divinity degree as the professional qualification of a full-time pastor. In the land of the hirelings, if you don't have a degree, you're not getting a decent church-job.

Inquiring about the education of an opponent on a site which advocates a position you are extremely against can look like an "in" to malign his character because it is often used in this manner.