View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 AM
ok.book.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Another example of faulty linking is seen when some Bibles link Genesis 1:2 with a passage in Jeremiah 4 and in Isaiah (can't remember the reference offhand) - to teach the Gap Theory. However, if the other two are studied out, it is revealed that it was referring to a future judgment (ie. after the time they were written) when God would judge men, not some prior judgment on some pre-creation earth when angels were supposedly judged (according to their theory).
Isa 45:18 is the reference used to teach the erroneous "gap" theory.

I used to be VERY big on study bibles and at least center column references. I never thought the notes or the references were inspired. I just used them to pieces.

After decades of using them though, I had to realize that I never got through much continuous reading because I was always using these references to chase down rabbits. I defended bunny chasing back then. But for the past 4 1/2 years I have been using a wonderful KJV w/o any helps, references, notes, columns, alternate renderings, alt readings, etc etc etc. . . .

And I just LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!! I was saying just the other day what a major impact this has had on my sense of "hearing from God". It has increased my faith (more of the word in me) it has increased my longing for heaven, it has lifted my heart and my mind to things above where Christ sitteth!

I have a large print so it sorta has wider margins than normal (not an outright wide margin). I put in lots of references for myself (which gives me training in finding and remembering where these references are).

Now, once I finish a really good reading session, then I lay back and think back over what I read. AFter awhile I hit on what it is that I'm really not getting. Then I go to a conservative commentary (usually JFB because its quick and gets me right to where I was needing help. But sometimes John Gill because of its depth).

The quick commentary check usually helps me resolve what I was missing. Other times nothing gets me there until I've sought the Lord for it. I have recent examples of this but I'll not mention them here unless someone asks.

When I do refer to a commentary or other help, its always of the electronic variety. A believing bible study software package like Sword Searcher or E-Sword is a very terrific way to go.

Last edited by ok.book.guy; 02-14-2008 at 07:42 AM.