View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Mind and Body

Actually, saying things like "holy cow" is much worse than you might think. I am not being judgemental here, I have used words like this many times, but I try to be very careful not to do so anymore. It is pretty easy to use phrases like this, because we hear them so much day to day.

But sayings like this are actually blasphemy. The definition of blasphemy is:

1) slander, detraction, speech injurious, to another's good name

2) impious and reproachful speech injurious to divine majesty

Now, #1 is easy. We all know to speak evil of God is blasphemy. But the phrase you used would come under #2.

There is only one who is Holy, and that is God.

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Matt 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Only God is holy, perfect, and without sin. And to call a cow or any other thing holy is actually disrespectful and irreverent. The word Holy applies to only one, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ who died to pay our sins.

Like I said, not judging you, just giving you something to think about.

From what I read, George is simply asking you to repsond to questions and points himself and Steve Monohan brought up.

And I am not defending Brother George, I am new here and don't really know him, although I enjoy reading many of his posts. I don't see him as hostile, I see him as someone who takes the scriptures very seriously, and that is a GOOD thing.

Years ago when I went to college we had a real no-nonsense professor. He was tough, and he had us all intimidated. He told you something once, and you better be paying attention, he did not repeat himself. When he told you to write something down, you better write it quick, because it was coming down and something new was coming up. We probably covered 2 to 3 times as much material in that class than we did in any others, he pushed you right along. There was no talking or goofing off in that class.

By the way, this professor had been a drill sergeant in the Marine Corps. It showed.

Anyway, I remember the end of the year. To our surprise he told us all that we were great students and that he was priviliged to teach us. He almost had tears in his eyes. It was shocking, coming from this man of stone.

So, do not mistake someone being zealous and serious as being hostile or cold-hearted.