View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Steve Schwenke

I must agree with Aussiemama.
Jesus and Paul warned us that "a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." What Christians view as harmless, the devil views as a tool to gain access into the lives of believers. Many Christians - even fundamentalists, and yes even some KJVO folks - have accepted Harry Potter. How can this be? Well, it started way back there with Dorothy and "Glenda the Good Witch of the NOrth." Folks, there is no such thing as a "good witch."
There is no written record anywhere of CS Lewis' conversion. I doubt his salvation myself. While some may excuse his use of witchcraft as an allegory, I find no scriptural precedent for such use. Jesus Christ spoke in many parables, but He never used an evil means to parallel something GOOD. Witchcraft is evil - all forms of it are to be avoided.
The same is true for Tolkien.
We might as well throw Walt Disney in this as well, since all of those sweet little innocent childrens stories are all steeped in witchcraft - with very few exceptions. Even the ones without apparent references (ie fairy godmothers, etc.) have at least verbal references to magic.
Necromancy deals with a suppossed ability to communicate with the dead. In answer to my own question about STar Wars and "the Force" it is indeed a form of witchcraft. Actually the entire Jedi order is nothing more than a different term for the Far Eastern mystical religions. But the ability to levitate, move things, etc are all "magical" powers, so I think it does fall into this broad category, even though it isn't "traditional" magic (ie witches, sorcerers, potions, spells, etc.) Actually, I think it is a little bit closer to reality than the other fictional works.

I believe these are used to introduce ideas and philosophies that are contrary to Scripture. They are subtle, and hard to identify, but the influence is there even if we don't recognize it. Just because it doesn't cause us to jump off the cliff into utter apostacy doesn't mean it has not had a negative affect on us.
Christians allowed Lewis and then Tolkien, so why not Star Wars and Harry Potter? What makes Tolkien acceptable and Potter NOT acceptable? This is an inconsistent position to take.
For me, the danger is that if the wizardry and witchcraft in Tolkien/Lewis is acceptable, then so is the witchcraft and wizardry in many other series of books that promote this sorcery. Terry Brooks wrote several science fiction/fantasy series. THen there is the Dungeon and Dragons stuff also.

It is all the same stuff, and the lure is to sorcery - one small step at a time. It may not get YOU, but what about your children? If you allow Tolkien, they will allow Potter.
THe latest thing now is a series by Mormon author STephanie Meyer. The storyline involves werewolves and vampires. Of course, they don't drink the blood of humans - these are "civilized" vampires. The group of kids that grew up on Potter are eating this series up. That is how the devil works. He throws us something that looks "christian" or allegorical or innocent (think Glenda the "good" witch) and hooks us into something a LITTLE bit more dangerous.

I for one renounce all the hidden things of dishonesty. We are to walk as children of light. Why should we endorse such darkness and evil?
I do not understand the Bible Believers who endorse this stuff.
The arguments advanced in favor of this witchcraft are the exact same arguments I heard from "fundamentalists" who don't believe the KJV is the perfect word of God. It doesn't hold water. Either the Bible is relevant to all cultures and all ages, or it is a dead book that means nothing to us today.
Acts 19 shows us that those converts burned all their curious works.
I think we should follow their steps.

In Christ,