View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 AM
aussiemama

Here's my take on this topic:

Does the Bible's condemnation of witchcraft, necromancy, etc. have a valid application in today's society? Yes, definitely.

I am fully aware of occultic activity, the Wiccans, and all their "friends" including Masonry, etc.

But how about Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy? My belief is that this is wicked and we should stay far away from it. There is no such thing as a "good" wizard, and so this is deception.

What about "THe Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe"? I don't believe CS Lewis was a Christian, and I don't believe this to be good literature. I believe we should stay as far away from the evils of witchcraft as possible instead of trying to see how close we can get to a line without going over it.

What about "Star Wars" and its use of "The Force"? This too, in my belief, is wickedness.

What about Harry Potter? Ugh, no! Very wicked stuff here.

Are these appropriate reading/viewing materials for Bible-Believing Christians? I don't believe that Christians ought to watch or read these sorts of things, but unfortunately the only one my husband agrees with me on is Harry Potter, which makes me sad because it means my kids will be involved in witchcraft with their father's consent.

Is it "fair" to label these as "magic"? Yes, definitely, as that is what they are.

To be honest, it has always baffled me as to why any Christian would consider any of these things to be acceptable. I used to be involved in such things as witchcraft and satanism and know the damage it can cause, which is why I am so worried when others don't see the wickedness with these kinds of "fantasy" stories. I'm even uncomfortable with fantasy as a genre.