View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM

If you study magic out in the Bible, the supernatural power which is forbidden is that which is derived from demonic forces or Satan. Obviously, God doesn't operate through spells and potions, but through Divine Power, so the real-world application of "magic" is ungodly and unbiblical and should be eschewed by Christians with all vehemence.

On the other hand, however, the fantasy world is rather far removed from reality. In Lewis' "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," for example, magic is similar to "the Force" in Star Wars; not a spiritual power, but one harnessed by those spiritual powers (or human) for good or evil. Obviously this is not even remotely close to necromancy (zombies) or sorcery (witch at Endor) which is forbidden in the Bible; the fantasy "magics" are many times simply a force like electricity: useful and able to be harnessed for human use. In Lewis' books, the "Deep Magic" was similar, in his allegorical works, to the Law of God, in my opinion. A traitor, according to the law, was to be killed, but the "Deep Magic" allowed that a perfect substitute could willingly give his life for that of the traitor, and the power of evil would be broken.

Now Lewis was far from a sound theologian, and many of his books are allegorically groundless, but in this example (and the astounding last-days prophecy in "The Last Battle for Narnia") the "magic" was simply a way for him to express the allegorical power of God, or perhaps the Law, to children who would read his books.

I think it is the same with Lord of the Rings: there are good "wizards" and there are bad "wizards"; these characters use powers that are more similar to what could be called sorcery, but these powers are more like elemental or residual forces, not spirits and devils.

Calling "the Force" witchcraft is rather comical to anyone who is really acquainted with the Star Wars saga. Yes, it shares a lot of similarities with New Age "life force" ideology, and perhaps is even derived from that, but there is little in Star Wars that could be likened to Biblical witchcraft.

Harry Potter? Dumb question. That's sorcery right out of Deuteronomy. I watched the first movie and part of the second, simply out of curiosity (and to know what they were about), and I must say (apart from the deplorable acting and stupid story lines) that Hogwarts (and their homosexual headmaster) is nothing but a tool to integrate demonic powers and ungodly spirituality into young children. Any Christian that allows their children to watch that trash is an idiot; if a mature Christian wishes to watch them to better discuss them with someone who is deceived by it, then that's between you and God. I'm not going to tell you what you can and can't do.

Now I'm not saying that any of the above-mentioned materials are "wholesome" other than for pure literary value (except Harry Potter!!). I would have no problem with my 8-10 year-old children reading The Chronicles of Narnia and perhaps my 12-14 year-olds reading The Lord of the Rings, but again it's for literary value alone. However, that's at the parents' discretion, and between them (or you) and the Lord. I don't deign to tell people what is right and wrong (other than what is clearly spelled out in Scripture), as should no one, so if you think that any of the books or movies above are wrong, then by all means avoid them. I simply wish to explain my viewpoint and why I don't think that Christians' most maligned series are bad.