View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schwenke View Post
Does the Bible's condemnation of witchcraft, necromancy, etc. have a valid application in today's society? I am fully aware of occultic activity, the Wiccans, and all their "friends" including Masonry, etc.

But how about Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy?
What about "THe Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe"?
What about "Star Wars" and its use of "The Force"?
What about Harry Potter?

Are these appropriate reading/viewing materials for Bible-Believing Christians?
Is it "fair" to label these as "magic"?

I am curious to know what the folks think about the latter four, since they are so prevalent in today's society. I have my views, but I would like to hear some of yours first, if y'all don't mind!

Thanks in advance,
Hello Brother Steve (from a fellow Texan down in Houston). This is a great question. And one that will surely "label" those who give an answer. I hope no one holds my particular view and answer against me.

Quote:
Are these appropriate reading/viewing materials for Bible-Believing Christians? Is it "fair" to label these as "magic"?
Personally, I do not think it's "fair" to label them as "magic" or "necromancy." But that's only my opinion concerning "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings." I have not seen/read the others you referenced. However, I do think the Holy Scriptures always have an application for us today.

I guess the key word for me is really discernment. In saying that, I support the truth that it's always wise for us to:
1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
That's pretty broad, I know, but the Holy Spirit will guide us through the word. Do I always avoid all appearances of evil? No, I do not. And I do not (at least try not) to "label" those who decide to read/view the materials you referenced. I cannot be their Holy Spirit.