View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schwenke View Post
Does the Bible's condemnation of witchcraft, necromancy, etc. have a valid application in today's society?
I am fully aware of occultic activity, the Wiccans, and all their "friends" including Masonry, etc.
But how about Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy?
What about "THe Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe"?
What about "Star Wars" and its use of "The Force"?
What about Harry Potter?

Are these appropriate reading/viewing materials for Bible-Believing Christians?
Is it "fair" to label these as "magic"?

I am curious to know what the folks think about the latter four, since they are so prevalent in today's society. I have my views, but I would like to hear some of yours first, if y'all don't mind!

Thanks in advance,
My view is this: Christians have a certain degree of liberty in regards to the things they participate in. BUT that being said, the thing to keep in mind when deciding whether something is a healthy Christian activity or not is forseeing the consequences endorsing an activity might have on the weak in faith. What kind of message do we want to convey to children by endorsing books/movies that make witchcraft look like fun etc? Do we really want our children running around pretending to be little Hermione Grangers and Harry Potters casting spells on eachother? Do we want that childhood memory to stay with them when they get older and hear about real witchcraft, and are exposed to the seduction it has? Everything has a consequence, and everything we endorse sets a precedent in the eyes of young people and young Christians.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen