View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Maybe Brandon doesn't care whether you debate this issue - but I can guarantee a man that includes Strong's in his Bible program and sends out emails about how important a resource Strong's is in understanding the Bible does not agree with your anti-Strong's viewpoint/opinion/preference.
Strong's is a tool, like any other. I do think it's one of the better tools. I haven't had as much time to engage in discussion here as I'd like, though I am reading all the posts.

I agree with you about using dictionaries. I can't find a way to divine the definitions of words out of my Bible. The quality of the dictionary is certainly important -- the unabridged Oxford English is probably the best, but it's not a practical resources for most of us because of its cost. For determining the definitions of the words in the Bible, I have long recommended Webster's 1828. Strong's is also very useful. However, for determining the meanings of the words, we have to compare Scripture with Scripture. But we have to have some beginning point for our understanding of our language. That's what dictionaries are for.

Strong's isn't always right, though. Strong's seems to take issue with the word "unicorn" and also gives an incorrect pronunciation of Jehovah.