View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Richard you gave a good answer.

Thanks to everyone I think it shows we have been taught that after salvation one still needs to maintain a right relationship so after one sins (even though all are forgiven) we should examine our selves if we need acknowledge to God we are weak sinner continually in need of his grace. being sorry and repenting is a way of maintaining our relationship with God and our Lord.
Hmmm, well "relationship" is not really the best word brother.
I used to teach this in our Bible Doctrines class, there is a big difference between RELATIONSHIP and FELLOWSHIP.

Our RELATIONSHIP with God is that of his adopted children, whereby we cry "Abba" or Father. We have been adopted into God's family (Romans 8:15) and this is wonderful news! This relationship cannot be shaken or changed, it is not based on works or any "maintenance" on our part. (Eph. 2:8-9) It is based on faith only and receiving Christ.

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" I John 1:12

The reason this is important is because of the eternal security of the believer. Here is a weak but simple illustration...

When I was a kid, I used to get mud on my shoes a lot. My father used to tell me over and over to take off my shoes but I was always running in the house with muddy shoes on and making a mess. No matter how many times I tracked up my father's carpet as a child, my father never kicked me out or made me leave the family. Sometimes he became grieved about my total disregard for his instructions, and sometimes I got angry at him and his rules. I may have been chastized for that behavior, I may have lost my FELLOWSHIP, but I never lost my RELATIONSHIP. I was still in my father's family, and I stayed in his house. He loved me and remained my father and I remained his son.

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 1:6-7

So I would agree with you that searching and confessing to God is important, and the reason is for our proper FELLOWSHIP with God. (I John 1:9)

Chette, I think your poll was very good, and I salute you for it.
I just want to make sure the readers understand what we are talking about.
God bless...