View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 AM

Bro. Paul,

I've always understood espousal/betrothal to be more Hebrew custom rather than a guide or rule for how we are to do things today.

Here is another OT example:

Deut 22:23 If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
24 Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.

Often a child would be betrothed until she was old enough to be married. Hardly something I would want in practice today.

Our custom today is engagement...But the promises made in engagement I feel as a Christian should be taken very very seriously.

I do think that this verse applies to such promises of marriage:

James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Today we often enter into engagement WAY too lightly. If there is any question on whether a future marriage would not work out, I would advise that no "dating" OR engagement take place. But that is my personal opinion based on principles set forth in the Bible.