View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Brother Buck,
I think you were right in your previous post, when you said repentance in essence is a change of mind. The problem can start when we start adding things to that, as some type of "evidence" for salvation.

I think what the others are saying is that we have to be careful because some tend to view repentance differently than others, and some see it as a "work" needed for salvation.

Here is a pretty good overview of the various doctrines on repentance down through the ages, (be advised I do not consider all of these as Biblical) you might want to review the entire article, these are just a few points and I'm just trying to show how various denominations can put a spin on these things like repentance and baptism... notice carefully the concept under "turning away from sin."

Repentance (Metanoia) Defined as a Change of Mind

"In contrast to the Church's definition of metanoia as involving contrition, confession, and the performance of acts of penance, Calvin and Luther concluded that it retained its classical sense of "a change of mind." Salvific repentance according to Calvin and Luther was a change of mind whereby one recognized his own sinfulness and need of forgiveness and then turned in faith to God to provide that forgiveness in Christ. In essence, then, Luther and Calvin viewed salvific repentance as an essential part of saving faith."

Turning Away from Sin

"Those holding to this view consider salvific repentance to be the actual turning away from one's sins and not merely a willingness or intention to do so. They would tell an alcoholic, for example, that in order to become a Christian he would first have to stop getting drunk."

"Which of the views stated is the one correct view of salvific repentance? Future articles in this series will demonstrate that the change-of-mind-secure-salvation view is the biblical one.

If a person must give up something or even be willing to do so to obtain salvation, then it is not really a free gift. If one must live an obedient life to keep salvation, then it is conditioned upon faith plus works, and grace is nullified. Other views of salvific repentance fail to grasp the gravity of our plight as sinners in the hands of a holy God.

Nothing which we can do to try and clean up our lives will impress God. Only the blood of Jesus Christ can atone for our sins. And, the only way to appropriate Jesus' blood is by faith alone in Christ alone. The only thing we need to give up is a self-righteous attitude. We must cease viewing ourselves as good enough to merit salvation and instead place all of our trust on what Jesus Christ did on the cross for us as our Substitute."

Full article here:
The Doctrine of Repentance in Church History
http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=2503
Brother Parrish, I'm not being sarcastic, the link was interesting in a historical context, but by the time I got through the Latin and Greek terms I was still a bit confused as to what he was saying. I think we can turn to the Scriptures for a much more efficatious definition of the different kinds of repentance.

Sometimes, you can practice what's called the Law Of First Mention, in this case we see repentance being defined as "changing the mind and heart" since the first Person to repent in the Bible was God:

Ge 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Ex 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
Jud 2:18 And when the LORD raised them up judges, then the LORD was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the LORD because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them.

Judas Iscariot repented of the evil he did, but he did not have the Scripture below these verses nor was he man enough to go to the cross and seek forgiveness. He sought MAN'S forgiveness:

Matt 27:1 ¶ When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:
2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.
3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us?
see thou to that.
5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

I differ with the learned doctor in that while "turning away from sin" sounds good, it is something, according to Paul, that we can't do. Sin lives within us. We cannot keep the whole law, sin is transgression of the law and failing it at one point fails us on all points. I sin every time I shave and get a haircut. I've been known, on the Sabbath(Jerusalem time) to have not made more than a Sabbath day's journey but maybe 50 times that in my former travels. Wretched man that I am, what I do is not what made me work godly sorrow but what I am: A creature an innocent and perfect Man had to die for.

2Co 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Judas Iscariot practice this "sorrow of the world" in that he sought forgiveness and solace from the high priests who condemned Jesus Christ to death and not from God. It's our Godly sorrow and repentance towards God and not towards the world that works salvation, sorrow towards the world works death, and like the high priests statement to Judas, who cares? The world don't. Godly repentance is saying ,God, I'm sorry for who and what I am, wash me in Your Blood and save me by Your sacrifice for me on Calvary, worldly repentance is Judas's repentance, oops, I got caught.

Grace and peace to you., brother.

Tony Bones Oth.