View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

This topic interests me but I do have a few thoughts to add:

There is at least one verse that justifies rebellion....even if it is of a different kind.

What if I were to say
"Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:29"?

I acknowledge that the founding fathers of America were not all Christians. There was a schism (almost perfectly in half) of the singers of the declaration of independence. Half of these men were deists (Thomas Jefferson was their champion-he cut out all Scripture that involved God communicating in any way with man), and the other half of these men were born-again Christians.

Your argument would have us believe that these men were all accursed and vile men rebelling against God. While that is up in debate, I would like to add this: In the French-Indian War (otherwise known as the Seven Years War, and sometimes known as World War 0), the French and their Native-American allies were ambushing a pack of British soldiers newly arrived from England. Since the British had their great bright coats of red, they were easy targets. They were also at a disadvantage because the British and French were used to fighting "gentleman's wars", where soldiers lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and fired in waves on the open field. However, the French and American colonists had adopted the Indian style of guerrilla warfare-so they were easy targets. Colonel George Washington warned his British superior of this before they marched into a forest, and when the ambush started, the commanding officers of the British regulars were killed. However, Washington took command and led his troops out of the forest, lest they die accomplishing nothing. There was so much gunfire around-the British were attacked from 3 sides-that Washington lost one of his horses. He grabbed another horse and continued the battle.

Why do I bother telling you this? Because after the skirmish was over, Washington's men couldn't believe what they saw-Washington's uniform had at least four holes in it-that all led right to Washington's torso-and yet there was not a scratch on him.

After the war, an Indian chief came to visit Washington and confessed to him when he found Washington that he had been amazed that this man was alive. he himself had shot him in the torso at that same battle. When he saw that Washington was untouched, he said aloud "Surely this man is protected by the Great Spirit, (Indian's main deity) we must go and meet this man"

Why would God protect such a man if he knew he was going to lead a rebellion against him? Your thoughts?

On oaths, the Jesus does not rule against oaths, he rules against swearing by something that we do not have full control over, meaning nothing. Jesus says that we should swear BY nothing.

And Matthew 5:34, look at the context!!

Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

"34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

Jesus is talking about when someone accuses you of lying, do not say
"I swear!" because we shouldn't have to swear to prove our honesty.
When someone whose testimony is ridiculed or questions, the person will often say "I swear!" or, "I swear to God!" Jesus is rebuking this on two fields:
-Do not swear by anything
-Do not have a doubtable reputation of honesty that you have to swear to prove your innocence/honesty

Ecclesiastes 5:4 "When thou vowest a vow unto (not by God, UNTO GOD, my note) God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed."