View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Please understand that I do understand why people believe the gap theory. However, I also understand the history of how the gap theory came into being, and for that reason I cannot support it. Also, I do believe that it is solely because of 'accomodation' (of both secular and non-secular theories) that people support the gap theory. ...
So that's where I stand.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
David Walker has demonstrated in his book on Dispensationalism that many different believers have accepted a gap long before Darwin came along. I ask you, what exactly am I accomodating? I have repeatedly stated that I do not accept evolution - in any form. The "anti-gap" theologians have used this tactic to put mud on those of us who believe it - the old "guilt by association" trick. This does not make it true.

I believe that v. 3-31 are literal 24 hour days - six of them. On the 7th 24 hour day, the Lord rested.
So your verses using the phrase "in the beginning" simply mean "in the beginning" of this current system.
Your verses about Adam and Eve are irrelevent to this discussion - they were created on the sixth day, which is not "at the beginning" - six days into a project is not "at the beginning." Thus the phrase is a reference to the beginning of the population. Also, there is no record that Eve was created on the same day as Adam - is it not possible that she was created after the original (re)creation week? We don't know - the Scripture is not clear on this. All we know is that she was created AFTER Adam.
So, two of the references you used to prove "in the beginning" are really proving "in the beginning of the human race", not "in the very beginning of the creation week (i.e. the first day.) Since we don't know exactly when Eve was created, it would be hard to apply those verses to Genesis 1:1.

In Christ,