View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
At present the Old Scofield, and the Scofield lll study Bibles, are the only (for sure) true Oxford Standards remaining. My Thompson Chain should be 1769, but checking it against my Scofield, has some small amount of word changes. Nothing that would make any real difference, just enough to say its not a 1769 printing. Since Kirkbridge printed that one, that's probably the reason why.

Cambridge actually owns the Plates for the 1769 KJV, and Oxford was allowed to copy them. So other printers probably have to make a few word changes (not fact, my thoughts), to keep from breaking some copyright law. The KJV is public domain, but I don't imagine Cambridge's printing plates are. There is always some loop hole in this World.
Actually, the Scofield is not the standard "Oxford".

Cambridge does not own the plates of the 1769 KJV. There is no fact to the whole scenario about Oxford copying them or whatever.

What happened is this:

Both Cambridge and Oxford were printing KJBs in the 1750s, which went back to the 1638 Cambridge Edition. Cambridge did an edit in 1762, and then Oxford did one in 1769, which became the basis of all editions afterwards.

Only Oxford followed its own 1769 Edition. It was then followed by the London printers. The London printers also said (in about 1805) that there were 116 errata with the 1769 Edition. Already small differences appeared in the late 1700s.

An edit was done in 1817 by D'Oyly and Mant for Oxford, and only small changes occurred in the late 1800s, such as the word "spirit" at 1 John 5:8 being made "Spirit". The London Editions were clones of the 1800s Oxford.

In the 1830s a controversy arose about how accurate the KJB printing and editorial work was, and Cambridge decided to follow the 1769 Edition, but with corrections, so that "their's" would be "theirs". The Cambridge edition underwent minor changes in the 1800s, but around 1900, another edit took place, which made the Pure Cambridge Edition.

In the twentieth century, the London Edition was edited noticeably, and finally turned into (with some changes) the Cambridge Standard Text Edition. The Oxford has remained fairly static. Also, a new Cambridge edit occurred creating the Concord Edition, which some mistake as the "normal Cambridge" today. However, this Concord Edition is really a mixture with the Oxford.

In conclusion, I will point out that no edition is “1769” unless it comes from that year, but that the 1769 Edition does form the basis of all the editions of today. (There are some radically altered editions, such as Webster’s, Scrivener’s, the American Revisions and Norton’s, but they do not count as normal editions.)