View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 AM

I am no expert on changes, but I can site a few things. The 1967 New Scofield for one, has word changes, and some alternate readings. There have been printer/editor changes in some KJV's, after the 1769 date.

Someone will comment on the 1885 edition, which there was none ( actually the RSV of 1885, some called a KJV). But there was an 1883 edition, called Lincoln's Bible supposedly a KJV, but wasn't; it was actually a reprint of the Geneva Bible. The one Obama was sworn into office on.

Some later Cambridge Bibles have had word updates (I'll catch it on that one). But I read of one occurrence where someone purchased one, and found it not as he had expected (word changes, not his Grandmothers Bible), and he returned it. In fact he went so far as to show them, and the original words he had expected.

At present the Old Scofield, and the Scofield lll study Bibles, are the only (for sure) true Oxford Standards remaining. My Thompson Chain should be 1769, but checking it against my Scofield, has some small amount of word changes. Nothing that would make any real difference, just enough to say its not a 1769 printing. Since Kirkbridge printed that one, that's probably the reason why.

Cambridge actually owns the Plates for the 1769 KJV, and Oxford was allowed to copy them. So other printers probably have to make a few word changes (not fact, my thoughts), to keep from breaking some copyright law. The KJV is public domain, but I don't imagine Cambridge's printing plates are. There is always some loop hole in this World.

Last edited by Samuel; 03-20-2009 at 07:26 AM.