View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
they poorly translate Lucifer which really means light bearer as Bright morning star. which is the poorest form of scholarship I have ever witnessed. the translators of the 1611AV were man enough to admit translating the Hebrew word would be wrong so they just transliterated it into English which is a good rule to follow when a translation wont work or will cause confusion. in this case it confuses the person of Jesus Christ Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. with Lucifer, the Devil, who is Satan.
"they poorly translate Lucifer"
Only if you were translating FROM LATIN. The Hebrew word is "helel" or "heylel" which means "shining one" . Which matches the LXX rendering. The following "son of the dawn" makes it "morning star" or "day star" as the KJV margin says.

Isa 14:12 quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes

2Pe 1:19 et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris

It was nothing special in the Vulgate, it was just a word meaning "light bearer".