View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 05:39 PM
strongmeat

Hello Forrest, Luke, Brother Tim

I fully agree. I hope I didn’t give the impression by my question to bibleprotector that I feel that one can only be saved through the KJV. On the contrary I think otherwise. The statement I quoted from bibleprotector implies that he also believes that one can be saved other than through the KJV. There were conversions to Christ before 1611 and there are many conversions today in non-English speaking countries that certainly do not use the KJV. Also there are conversions today other than through the KJV even in English speaking countries.

However, this leads on to something else. If the Holy Spirit can use the words and the gospel message in the NIV, etc and save people (and I am convinced that this does happen), then does this not mean that such versions also contain the word of God, even if not all of it? Will the Holy Spirit use words found in versions that are perverse and corrupt to save souls?

Let me make it clear (as I did in my opening introductory post in Chit-chat) that though I have read other versions, the Holy Spirit always leads me back to the KJV. It remains the only English translation that I am comfortable with. For me the KJV is the word of God in English. The modern translations clearly are inferior to the KJV. But don’t they also have truth, even if it is missing some of the truth and have garbled it in many verses.

The point I am driving at is that while I uphold the KJV above all other English translations, would I be legalistic if I state that all other English versions are not the word of God or do not contain the word of God? I do not wish to be legalistic. I do not wish to pigeon-hole or limit the working of the Holy Spirit by an extreme KJV only position. I know people who do not and will not read the King James Bible because of the old English. They read the NIV and other modern versions. I would rather they read the KJV. However, I would rather they read the NIV or another version than not read a Bible at all. Let us be careful that we do not drive people away from the Lord by an extremist or exclusive spirit.

strongmeat