View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Hi Folks,

Connie, I agree that you are now focusing on the real important points. And your post on the other thread seemed to indicate exactly why "strain at" could easily be understood as the far more proper sense, showing the overwrought effort rather than purification or safety, thus the understanding that this fits what the Lord Jesus was saying the closest. I had held off on posting (I did post on an earlier thread on this forum on the gnats) and then your post expressed my thoughts albeit more clearly than I was thinking. And I have always focused on the little section from Jeffrey Nachimson as very helpful to getting the full historical perspective.

So as for the Ward Allen - John Bois book(s) referenced by Jeffrey (I think there are two that may be helpful, I am doing this from memory) on this issue I was also curious as to exactly what was said closer to firsthand and checked and noted the local university libraries where they are at (Worldcat is the best source for checking college and university libraries). Although it is possible some forum members can jump in with more immediate assistance. If not, I could make some real efforts to get to the one or two libraries during the next few days.

I'm not 100% sure that you are now a defender of "strain at" as the correct and proper interp, or close to that, yet that other post surely was a powerful indication that you do seem to have the gist of the matter .. strain at and strain out are not the same .. and strain at can be futile and unnecessary and overwrought efforts and thus (subject to verification) this would be a good base for understanding the physical, historical evidence of "strain at" being a deliberate and excellent King James Bible translational decision.

One point, when you say - "that is not what the Greek says" I am not sure that anyone has really looked closely at the contextual uses of the Greek word in Greek literature, the full range of semantic meaning. And even there, there may not be enough information to make any blanket statement authoritatively. And the one usage in the New Testament must be given proper contextual perspective, where 'strain at' makes a lot more sense than 'strain out'.

Generally, on such an issue, I would bypass a short note of D. A. Waite as of only minor interest, the combined internet sharing can go a lot deeper into such a matter, and you have access here to some of the most informed King James Bible defenders in the world. Matthew's knowledge of variants in editions, Brandon's page showing modern version variant omissions, Will Kinney's indepth analysis of various issues being examples.

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 07-22-2008 at 05:32 PM.