View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Default "Sword Bible" KJV- Easy Reading ed.

Hello all.

I've been reading up on KJO, and the 'debate'. I've had the thought:

"Why can't somebody, some entity, just change the Elizabethan pronouns and verbs, and leave the rest alone?"

{ I realize there is some concern with the proper rendering of the plural forms of the pronouns when you do this. }

Well, I found just such a bible, YESTERDAY. The copyright is 2007, so I don't know how many even know about it. I searched here first and could find no prior reference to it.

The publisher's website is, apparently:

www.whitakerhouse.com

But, on the same page is the reference to King's Word Press

www.swordbible.com

Both sites seem to offer it for sale, and there are several on Amazon, also.

The cover reads:
Sword Bible
KJVER

The classic King James Version
Outdated words replaced with their modern equivalents

In so far as I can tell, this must refer only to verb forms an pronouns as I'd wished. A key feature is the inclusion of a superscript 'p' where the modern pronoun was originally rendered in the Elizabethan plural form.

There are still the archaic words present, such as John Baptist's head on a 'charger', and most certainly the cockatrice, dragon, and satyr mentioned in a recent post. Also, the [i]use of ITALICS[/] also seems to be true-to-form.

While I'm not a fan of Bible 'helps', I'm enamored with the few in this one. For the archaic words, they underline them, and include a possible modern equivalent succinctly at the end of each verse, or each column of versuses where the word/s appear more than once.

As with the words of Christ in red, they also do so for the words of God in the OT. As with possible word definitions after verses, they include the Hebrew renderings of the names of God in the OT.

Here's two Genesis examples:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Elohim

"And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said to him, I am the Almighty God, ...Jehovah - El Shaddai

(Yes, the preface covers tetragrammaton YaHWeH becoming 'Jehovah)

The version I found is hardback, and I intend to buy a large-print soft-cover today. So, I'm willing to send this one on to one of you for a review so that you could report back to those here on the forum. That way, no one will have to part with the money to buy one only to be disappointed, yet again, in a 'modern' rendering that leaves you wanting.

I'll include either a return box with postage on it, or a check for return postage as the recipient would like. Keep it for a few weeks/months until you've thoroughly wrung it out. With little KJV experience, I certainly am not qualified to so!

I would think the proprietor of this site and forum would be a logical choice. However, if there's another reader here in the CONUS, and you all agree that he/she would be a good reviewer, by all means. Please let me know here in this post.

Best,
Vic-pneuby

Last edited by pneuby; 04-28-2008 at 11:05 AM.