View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 AM

2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

I don't discount the fact that God is omnipresent and that the Bible teaches He is in hell and heaven (Psalms 139:8), but being in "the presence of the Lord" is something different, it looks like it refers to being in close proximity to the Godhead or the physical manifestation of the Lord:
Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Genesis 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

Jonah 1:3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
Aside from Revelation 14:10, which we've discussed, the scripture I've quoted in this thread doesn't support the lake of fire being "in the presence of the Lord" in eternity. Not that it won't be "before Him", for He sees everything, I just don't think it will be located right there in front of His throne "in His presence".