View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
1 Peter 3:19 (KJV) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

'Spirits' in prison. But is 'spirit in prison' the same as 'soul in Hell'?

A man's spirit is not the same as a man's soul.

So, who were the 'spirits' in prison?

Quote:
Scripture does not support any notion of Christ going to the Lake of Fire. I do not think anyone is in the Lake of Fire yet, that is I do not recall any Scriptures that support the idea of anyone being in Hell yet. But there are spirits awaiting judgement.
Again, I do not believe that 'spirits' are judged, I think that 'souls' are judged.

That's my understanding of it.

Quote:
I'm sure there is more to be discussed about this subject. I just wanted to share that I don't believe that Christ saw corruption while in the grave, nor did he go to the Hell that most people think of, that is the Lake of Fire.
I know that in one of the creeds (Apostles' or Nicene, I don't recall) it says that 'He descended into Hell'. However, where is the Scriptural basis for that? Maybe I am just missing something here.

Also, Hell and the Lake of Fire aren't the same, although one day Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire:
"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Revelation 20:14)

Interesting discussion.