View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophronismos View Post
Question on Job 40:21-22. The description of the behometh sure sounds like a dinosaur, but the KJV says "He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about." However, the Geneva Bible 1587 says "Lyeth hee vnder the trees in the couert of the reede and fennes? Can the trees couer him with their shadow? or can the willowes of the riuer compasse him about?" The Geneva seems more likely here, to be honest. The 54 or so translators of the KJB disagree with you, if they didnt, they would have used the Geneva rendering in their translation work. No offense to you, but I will stick with the unparalelled scholarship of these men rather than what might seem more likely to someone making a superficial examination of the texts..

The "covert of the reed" seems especially too small for a gigantic creature like Behemoth. Maybe you have never been duck hunting, but if you had,you would know that a reed marsh can easily be dozens of square kilometers in size, and could easily be a "covert" for hundreds of animals...didnt a passenger jet crash in the Florida everglades a few years ago and just totally disappear in the reeds?

The book of Job is a hard one, being Hebrew poetry (and they had never seen dinosaurs), so I can see how a small error like this could be made, if it be an error (and it doesn't effect anyone's salvation if it is). What think ye? The book of Job is not just poetry, it is an account of Job's experience when God allowed Satan to test him. What makes you think the people of that time had never seen Dinosaurs? God tells Job to ....Job 40:15 "Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox"....why would God tell Job to "Behold" an animal that he could not, or had never, seen?

Why even ask, seeing I know what you think. Another seeming error in the KJV of Job is Job 12:5 "He that is ready to slip with his feet is as a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease." That's a hard sentence to even read, and it doesn't seem to make any sense. Why would a person who is slipping be compared to a light? The person who is not slipping, you would think, would be compared to a light. The NKJV says "A lamp is despised in the thought of one who is at ease; It is made ready for those whose feet slip" which seems more sensical, but what do I know. Maybe some of you can help me out here. What do you think "He that is ready to slip with his feet is as a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease" means?
It is difficult to understand, but just because it is, is no reason to cast it aside in favour of an "easier" to read version that in all probability has lost some essence of the intended meaning in the process of "clarification"...2Ti 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Fundy