View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
tandy1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Quote:
1. Do you believe that “God’s Salvation has ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME since Adam’s Fall? {YES or NO?}

2. Do you believe that Adam, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Job, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were saved the SAME "way" as we are today? {YES or NO?}

3. Do you believe that Moses, Aaron, Joshua, the Judges, David, and the Prophets were saved the SAME "way" as we are today? {YES or NO?}

4. Do you believe that Peter, James, John, and the rest of the Disciples were “saved” just exactly the SAME "way" as we are today – BEFORE the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord? {YES or NO?}

5. And do you believe that it is absolutely necessary that a person REPENT of their sins BEFORE they can be “saved” today? {YES or NO?}

Until we find out WHAT you believe it is difficult to know HOW to answer you. To be honest, there are "lurkers"; "skeptics"; "sophists"; Bible "correctors"; and "hereticks" (all flavors) that come here practically every week (and some of whom are still here ) - and until we know WHERE you are coming from and WHAT you believe, we have very little idea HOW to respond to you.
[/FONT]
Brother George. I will try to answer your questions plainly. As far as "lurkers"; "skeptics"; "sophists"; Bible "correctors"; and "hereticks" are concerned I would try to answer them according to scripture whether they believe what I do or not. They would concern me not a bit.

1. Do you believe that “God’s Salvation has ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME since Adam’s Fall? {YES or NO?}

Yes. It is not by works. Paul makes that plain. God doesn't care if it makes sense to you.

2. Do you believe that Adam, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Job, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were saved the SAME "way" as we are today? {YES or NO?}

Absolutely. Works of righteousness were as filthy rags in the Old Testament (Isaiah 64:6) The were justified before God by faith not their works. Their faith was counted for righteousness not keeping the Ceremonial Law or any other works of righteousness.

3. Do you believe that Moses, Aaron, Joshua, the Judges, David, and the Prophets were saved the SAME "way" as we are today? {YES or NO?}

See question 2.

4. Do you believe that Peter, James, John, and the rest of the Disciples were “saved” just exactly the SAME "way" as we are today – BEFORE the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord? {YES or NO?}

See question 2.

5. And do you believe that it is absolutely necessary that a person REPENT of their sins BEFORE they can be “saved” today? {YES or NO?}

Absolutely. We are granted repentance unto salvation. Only Campbellites reverse the God given order of repentance and faith. In one generation the historic and commonly accepted definition has been changed to a mere change of mind that doesn't affect a man's heart or actions.

2Co 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
2Co 7:11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

They did more than acknowledge that they'd done wrong things! True repentance (unto life) involves both confessing and mentally forsaking one's sin and sinfulness.

I will show you how Curtis Hudson and Steve Anderson have perverted the commonly accepted historical and scriptural definition. Are these men heretics?

Recognizing his guilt, there is a TURNING FROM SIN. There is a turning to God. The actual word "repentance" means a turning completely around: a change of course; a change of mind. TO THINK OF REPENTANCE THAT DOES NOT CAUSE THE SINNER TO TURN GLADLY FROM HIS SINS IS IMPOSSIBLE. I know that we have a shallow religious movement in our times that will allow men to profess faith in Christ and at the same time continue to live in the world. Such a shallow religious faith is not real. These are mere professors and have no part with God in salvation¯ (Harold Sightler, Chastening and Repentance, 1963).

No unrepentant sinner will ever get into Heaven, unless they forsake their sin they cannot enter there. The law of God is very plain on this point: "Except a man repent."True repentance is the Holy Ghost showing sinners their sin. That's what we want. (D.L. Moody "from message on Repentance")

repentance is a turning from sin, a loathing of it; and if thou hast that, thou hast sure repentance; but not else. Repentance is also a sense of shame for having lived in it, and a longing to avoid it. It is a change of the mind with regard to sin--a turning of the man right round. That is what it is; and it is wrought in us by the grace of God. Let none therefore mistake what true repentance (Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Mistaken Notions about Repentance, Metropolitan Tabernacle, London, England, April 20, 1879).

"True repentance is sorrow for sin committed against a holy God and not only sorrow for sin, but turning from sin, forsaking sin and turning to God. Sin nailed the Savior to the cross and certainly that fact alone is sufficient reason why all who have genuinely repented hate sin and forsake sinful ways" (Oliver B. Greene, Commentary of Acts of the Apostles, Acts 2:37,38, 1969).

Luk 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. - Jesus

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. - The Apostle Paul

Act 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. - The Apostle Paul

Hyperdispensationalism conveniently turns repentance into a work. After a man becomes a Christian he repents to have fellowship restored(1 John 1). Repentance is no more a work than believing the gospel!