View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvw View Post
Mat 13:45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Mat 13:46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

What is this talking about? It says the kingdom of heaven so it must only be talking about the Millennium?
Honestly, I really like the question, brother.

Certainly, it does NOT say "church" anywhere. This is the problem of almost every commentary (and song) I've read (or liked to sing). They would say the "pearl of great price" is the church.

The Bible means what it says: "The KINGDOM of heaven is LIKE ...one pearl of great price." If some suppose it means something else other than what says, then I'd rather believe what I read regardless of what others think it should mean that it does not say.

Many seem to force everything from Genesis to Revelation and make the passages refer to the church; but when they hear the "other side" that applies most passages in Scripture to the millennial kingdom (as demanded by the context), they would have a problem with it. What's wrong?

For example: Eve is the church, Rebekah is the church, Ruth is the church, salt of the earth is the church, light of the world is the church, pearl of great price is the church, etc. etc.

I have no problem with that as long as they are a "TYPE" of the church, but not DOCTRINE FOR or a DIRECT REFERENCE TO the church. CONTEXT determines meaning.

Now, if Ruth is a type of something else other than the church, the salt of the earth a type of someone else other than the church, the light of the world a reference to another group of people other than the church, the pearl of great price is a reference to the KINGDOM and not to the church, why is there a problem?