View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
"I find many things people say, not directly stated in the scriptures. Some things they say, come into direct conflict in fact.

When asked to explain something, we have to try to do so, while staying within the confines of what scripture may not directly say, but intimates.

As for the other, there was a Preacher here by the name of Charles Harris. If you asked him a question scripture did not directly speak on, he would not give you any answer.

In the end I don't know which is best, as far as the questioner is concerned. By giving a reasonable answer, at least you give him the opportunity the Bereans had. Maybe he will go to seek the for the correct answer for himself, and in the end learn something.

If I feel I don't have at least some justification from Scripture for an answer, I will give none also. Any I do give is from the man, not to be considered a word from God.
"
Aloha Samuel,

I mean no offense brother, but there is far too much speculation, personal opinion, and private interpretation going on in Christianity today and far too little Scripture.

Acts 5:20 Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.

1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

As far as the Bereans are concerned they searched the Scriptures daily, they weren't concerned with the opinions of men:

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

They received "the word" (God's word - NOT the words of men) and searched the Scriptures. There is far too little of either one of these things going on in Christian circles today.

Throughout the U.S.A., Christians (of all stripes) are following men - famous men; popular men; learned men; influential men; etc. We are not supposed to be following men, we are supposed to be following the Lord Jesus Christ according to His Holy word - NOT the dictates of our conscience.

We are commanded to study the word of truth, [2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.] not so we can speak to people about what we "think", but so we can know God's word well enough so we can answer people with the "words of life", not our speculations and/or opinions.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Those "answers" should be from the Scriptures - not what we "think" might be appropriate to get them to thinking.

John 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

The Holy Spirit uses the word of God to convict and convince people of God's truth - not the words of man's wisdom.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

And WHAT is "TRUTH"?

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

God doesn't "sanctify" people with our words (no matter how well thought out they may be) - He "sanctifies" them with His Holy words!

1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Christians should be concerned about giving people God's words - not our "opinions", in hopes that they will meditate on them, and possibly search out the truth. {Of course that means we have to study His words, and hide them in our heart, so we can know what to say to people from the Book of Life and not what we "think" may be helpful.}

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

According to the Scriptures: ALL of God's WORKS are DONE IN TRUTH - that is according to His Holy word; The word of God is RIGHT; the word of God is QUICK and POWERFUL; and God has MAGNIFIED HIS WORD ABOVE HIS NAME!

WHY would Christians try to use their own words in the place of His words? Are our words equal to God's words? Should we "substitute" our "opinions", "speculations", or "private interpretations" for the Holy words of God? I trow not!

It's real easy to "speculate" about spiritual matters - we can just say whatever comes to our mind. But to search the Holy Scriptures to find the out the mind of God on a spiritual issue - that's work, that's another matter altogether. And most Christians today would prefer to continue on with their personal "opinions", rather than study God's word to see what God has to say about spiritual matters.

Like I said before, IF you can find the definition of "spiritual death" or "spiritually dead" from the list of Scriptures I supplied, I would be real happy to hear it. I've done all the "searching" - all you have to do is read the verses that I have collated, or search out any other verses that might come to mind, and come up with a "Scriptural" definition.

However, if all you have to offer is your personal opinion and/or speculations, well I can do that also - not that my personal opinions or speculations on spiritual issues is worth a hill of beans.

I want to know the truth; the whole Truth; and NOTHING but the Truth. That's all that matters to God, and that's good enough for me.