View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I am so busy soaking up what the bible is trying to impart to me, I find it a blessing to read NASB, NKJV, ESV along with my KJV for that parallel comparison to help be understand the content rather then the actual word for word translation, I have enough trouble with English let alone Greek.
I've already explained why the words come first -- not the "content." The content is the result of the conveyance through the words. You don't get reliable content without the right conveyance. We should not settle for admixture of error when there exists a pure form of the word.

As for this parallel means of study -- how is this helpful, for example, on the last twelve verses of Mark or 1Ti 3:16? Most modern versions will either remove the last twelve verses of Mark or say that nobody knows the correct ending. Here's a passage with no parallel elsewhere in Scripture. How does it bolster your faith to be told those verses may not even belong in the Bible? And how does the corrupt critical reading of 1Ti 3:16 ("He who" instead of "God") make it easier to understand the verse?

MDOC is trying to make the point that the Bible does not support a form of "onlyism" in Bible study -- I'd say he's got the argument backwards. Where in Scripture do we find the "parallel" method of study advocated? When did Christ ever look for just the right rendering among competing authorities?

And as to this notion that it simply isn't important:
Isaiah 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.