View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Obviously a couple of the cases that fall under "therapeutic abortion" take place after life has ceased.

The only case I can think of that is a truly life threatening "therapeutic abortion" is an ectopic pregnancy. There is no good outcome from this. Death is guaranteed from the moment of implantation.

Thanks to medical science 90% of women who have an ectopic no longer die from it. Most now only lose one ovary/fallopian tube. Which brings with it close monitoring for future pregnancies. They have a 10% chance of having another ectopic.

Which means if another ectopic is detected (there are hormonal tests as well as ultrasounds to determine this) they can either wait till it ruptures or starts internal bleeding and risk dieing (and then do surgery anyway), use hormones to terminate the pregnancy in hopes to save the last ovary/tube/minimize internal damage, or in some cases lose the last tube despite a hormonal abortion.

I know of several women who did not know they had an ectopic and have had ruptures and nearly died. Some of which lost any chance at ever having children and few who have saved one tube only to be faced with the horrible choice of terminating the next ectopic pregnancy.

I know of a woman who has had to do make the choice twice (after losing a tube on her first pregnancy) and will be having her last tube removed to prevent ever having to make that choice again. And another that this weekend also had to make the choice as they have no idea where the baby implanted. These are women who are Christians and have waited, prayed and longed for children for years. It is not an easy choice and one they deeply grieve over, but one that they really have no choice at all as all choices lead to death.

Another side of "therapeutic abortion" is the possible life threatening.

This ranges from a multiple pregnancy where they want to do selective reduction to increase the odds for the other child(ren) and ease the burden on the mother to health risks associated with the mother. And sometimes because of health issues with the baby. In a lot of cases even non-Christians tend to leave it to the natural course of things.

Of the cases I know MOST have had good outcomes for both mother and child(ren). Sometimes the loss of a child or all children in a pregnancy. I have read of one case were the mother refused an abortion and was put off cancer treatment until after the baby was born and she died from her cancer.

Of the cases I do know of no matter the outcome the Christian families have been at peace with their choice to leave these cases in God's hands. This includes the families that have born children without brains or other defects so that their organs may be harvested so that other children might live.

As to "mental health" that is just a medical work around for "elective".