View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Connie

Quote:
Then, how can such a person be claiming to be Spirit-led? The Spirit of God is not subjective, nor is He merely someone's intuition.
If a person is in the Word and in prayer about such things and seeking to know the will of God, then that person's judgment is going to be led by Him and not be subjective or mere intuition as you think of it. There is always room for error of course, but we are talking about Christians who presumably live by the Word and the Spirit.

Quote:
It is certainly true that there needs to be a final form of the King James Bible, but it is by receiving from tradition, that is, what has been afforded to us by the providence of God, rather than looking to yet raise up another “standard”.
Perhaps you are right. But how has anything ever been done in the history of Christianity except by born-again people feeling a need, subjecting it to the Word and prayer and setting out to execute it in His power? How else would you judge whether something is of the will of God or not? You may be right that God will not bless the efforts of those who desire this sort of updating as I do, but I don't consider my desire itself to be anything other than a desire to further God's glory and strengthen His church. I impute the same motives to you. God will judge us in the end.

Quote:
It is clear that the Spirit of God is not leading toward creating yet another update to the King James Bible.
How do you know? How do you know that it's not simply that the devil has confused the churches to such an extent that we are not reliably following the Spirit of God where He wants us to go? We are in the days where the devil is wearing out the saints right and left and bringing all kinds of confusion among us. SOME of us certainly feel a need for such an update, and how do you know THAT is not of the Holy Spirit?

Quote:
Rather, it is that people must take up what is, and read.
Well, that is what we must do in any case. That doesn't mean we can't think and pray about updating as well.

Quote:
They must turn back to the old paths, restore themselves to the present foundation, “All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye.” (Isaiah 18:3).
I just can't see how this applies to what is merely human language.

Quote:
It is propaganda of the enemy that English words are being lost
Who has said that English words are being lost? I haven't said that.

Quote:
or that meanings have altered so much as if the Spirit of God cannot teach people what words ending in “-eth” mean.
I have also not said that people can't be taught the meaning of the -eth endings.

Quote:
Such usage should be retained because it is both accurate and God-honoured.
So would -s and -es endings if applied properly be both accurate and God-honored.

Quote:
No Bible English words or meanings are actually lost anyway.
I have no idea what you mean by "lost." I haven't said any words or meanings are lost. The reason for updating is simply to have the Bible in the language of the people, which has been the aim of all the translators since the Bible was wrested from the Roman Church.

Quote:
Now, I am well aware of the idea that some have about how God should do new things, or that people must progress forward,
That has nothing to do with anything I've been saying. I don't think updating a translation has anything to do with new things or progress. I don't regard it even as a change at all if it is done correctly. It is simply putting God's word into the language of the people. If I say "flower" and the Frenchman says "fleur" and the Hispanic says "flora" and the German says "blume," or the 17th Century Englishman says "prevent" where today we say "precede" there is no change involved, no new thing, no progress because all the terms are equivalent. Translation is the art of discovering the most exact equivalent. The Holy Spirit oversees such work if done in the right spirit for the right reasons by the right people under the right authority.

Quote:
but this never means forsaking the foundation, nor does it mean going into the “spirit” to the abandonment of the Word. Such feeling-oriented “Christianity” is not leading into the truth. The true power of the Spirit is to have the Word and to show forth, by the Church, the things of the Word.
There is nothing "feeling-oriented" about anything I've said. The Word is the work of the Spirit, there is no contradiction. The Spirit directed the writing of the Word in the first place, the selection of the Word by the church down the centuries, the translation of the Word into all the different languages, and also whatever necessary updating has been done and should be done.

Last edited by Connie; 05-17-2008 at 12:30 AM.