View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Hi, Scott!

I seem to view things a little differently with our strong Bible Believing brethren here. The "Heresy and Heresies" thread is quite "hot", and I hope mine won't be one.

Concerning Acts 8, I don't think that since Philip and the Ethiopian went down "into the water", it would mean that Philip immersed the Ethiopian, for the text says both went down into the water.

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

The question would be: Did "both" of them immerse together?

Looking at the text again, it says that after "both" went "down" "into" the water, Philip baptized him. So the "down...into" does not necessarily refer to the baptism but to both of them going down to the water.

Correction: both of them went down into the water. The only reason for going into the water is to be able to immerse the convert into the water (just like John the Baptist in Luther's translation is translated "John the Dunker"). Any other form of baptism could be performed from the shore.

Peace and Love,
Stephen